We often become too excited during the holiday season, looking forward to celebrate with our families and friends. And many times we forget about security of our family. I am here to remind you about giving proper attention to your personal security during the holidays and even protect your family on the internet. Below contains several security tips to keep your family safe not only during the holidays but throughout the year.
Security Awareness Tips During Shopping
- Shop during daylight hours instead of during night time. Whenever possible shop with a friend.
- Do not wear expensive jewelry.
- Be aware of your surroundings when walking in the parking lot and always carry car keys in your hand to be used as a personal alarm.
- Always park where there is plenty of light all the way to the store entrance.
- Do not leave any valuables in your car such as wallets, cell phones and GPS. You can use trunk of your car to place any valuables but do so before you park in the parking lot.
- Do not carry large amount of cash. Carry cash in your front pockets instead of back and try spreading your money using different pockets.
- Always be extremely careful when using ATM machines.
- Teach your kids what to do in case they get lost during shopping. This can easily be accomplished by telling kids to look for security guards or police officers.
- Place the items you purchased in the trunk of car. It’s also smart to relocate to another parking space if you have to go back to shopping again.
Security Awareness Tips at Home and During Travel
- Boxes from computers, TV and jewelry left for trash collection often provide good indication to burglars about what items you have in your house. Always break down the boxes and throw them in a bag. Also consider throwing the trash before trash collection time.
- Always verify any public workers requesting access into your house before allowing entry.
- Do not give out information regarding family travel plans to anyone who don’t need to know. Never post travel information on any social networking sites.
- If possible, use timers for lights inside and outside the house.
- Don’t be afraid to write down the license plate number of any suspicious vehicles especially around the neighborhood. Note the description of occupants and immediately report to police.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!