It is an exciting time of the year as millions of kids start back school. It is especially more exciting for me and my wife this year because for the first time in our lives, we will have not only one but two kids in Elementary school this Fall. This is the reason why it is more important for my family to kick off this school year successfully and maintain it for next 10 grueling months. The following tips will help my family and I hope that they will help any families with Elementary school kids.
1. Summer is a great time for kids to fall out of their bedtime routine. My kids took advantage of this by going to bed much later this Summer and we as their parents were not too harsh either. Now that it is literally one week away before the first school day, it is important for the kids to go to sleep early and parents enforcing a bed time rule. Make sure kids get at minimum 8 hours of sleep every day.
2. I know many parents worry a lot about what their kids eat especially for breakfast and lunch. This is more evident during the school year. One thing parents can do is to plan ahead and shop for healthy food for breakfast and lunch. Give yourself at least one week in advance which will eventually save you precious time and prevent you from getting stressed.
3. Did you ever enjoy going shopping for school supplies? I know I did when I was in Elementary school. Now that I am a parent, I realize how easy it is for me to order school supplies from school and not worry about it. However, I recommend saving your laziness for something else and go shopping for school supplies together with your kids. Not only will kids have fun doing it but it will also save you money.
4. School morning can be chaotic times. Kids have to wash up, figure out what to wear, eat breakfast, prepare back pack, etc… Parents can be help by preparing kids’ clothes a head of time and help your kids prepare back packs a day before. It could save few minutes which can be difference between running to school bus versus walking and waiting for school bus.
5. Enforce your kids to do homework first before playing after school. Many times, I see so many kids play after they come home from school. It might be okay in Elementary school years, but this is not a good habit into Middle and High school years. Start a good study habit early by enforcing kids to do homework as soon as possible after school. This will help them not to worry about homework after dinner and will give them opportunity to relax and have family time together.
I wish all parents with Elementary school kids best of luck this school year. Remember that you as their parents have total control for providing them a strong study foundation, which will help them to have a successful career as students. Don’t be lazy by taking easy way out!